Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

German Tidbit #1: The Sorting of the Trash

I can't help but pass along new tidbits that humor me as I encounter them here. This is the tidbit concerning trash. Germans are very enviromentally friendly, as most of you know, and recycling here is a big deal, in fact it is mandatory. So, I am learning to sort the trash.

I know that you are all thinking it isn't that hard. Paper or plastic, right?

Oh no . . . try SIX categories:
1. Paper
2. Plastic bottles that you have to return to the store to receive a deposit back
3. Bio (food waste products - appreciate your disposal, in fact, go tell your disposal right now how much you love it!)
4. Glass (must return these to a separate facility to receive deposit back)
5. Recyclable waxy papers, aluminum foil, some plastics, cans, etc. (all items maked with a symbol called the Gruene Punkt "green point" and these should be rinsed clean before disposing of them)
6. Other trash that can't be recycled (diapers, used napkins, used tissues, etc.)

There is trash pick-up once per week, and they only pick up one category each week. So, Monday was bio, next Monday is other trash, and so on. So, if we didn't get our bio out this past Monday, we would have a long time to wait until that one is picked up again. Tonight we will gather up our cloth bags and head to the grocery store. Either you bring your own, or you buy each plastic bag you use! I'm feeling more green already! Think I'll stop shaving my armpits.

Auf Weidersehen!

No comments: