Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

If you think I look rough, you should see what I did to the other kid!!!




Well, we have had our first ever trip to the Emergency Room. Thank goodness Peter got us some insurance for foreign countries in case of emergencies while we were here. All I have to say is that he couldn’t have been in more caring hands when this occurred. We have been borrowing the most cool looking retro high chair so far. By retro, I mean this is the high chair that my sister in law, April, and her brother and sister used when they were little, so it is over 30 years old. It is still a great high chair, but lacks one new safety feature – a belt. And while some kids may not need this, Cooper definitely does. He has learned the phrase “sit down” while using this high chair because he loves to turn all around, stand up, and wiggle all around in this chair. He also loves to push with his feet against the tray, which does lock into place. Either Cooper is really strong or I didn’t have it locked in good enough, cause he kicked it right off and took a face dive to the floor. OUCH!!!

When I came in, Ms. Daisy was trying to stop the bleeding over Cooper’s left eye and calm his screams. In those situations all it takes is to be in mommy’s arms and the world is right again (motherhood is a powerful thing). After that Cooper was smiling and playing again, but he just wouldn’t let me clean off the cut. I waited a couple of hours, but it was still bleeding and after having my brother Alan who is a Physician Assistant take a look we decided to head to the ER in case stitches were needed. I’m glad we did, because that is exactly what was required. Cooper did great, and only screamed when we had to hold him down. Alan had the head, I took the arms and chest, April had a leg, and a med student had the other leg. It is really strange to watch a needle pierce your child’s face and see them sew up a cut. He got 3 stitches which I call his “blue bow ties”. Cooper looked 100% better after that, and when we got back home he was all smiles with Ms. Daisy. He went immediately to sleep when I laid him down, and I headed to Wal-Mart for a new portable high chair. (How much do I enjoy a 24 hour superstore? Immensely!)

Cooper gets mad at me when I have to clean the wound, but other than that he doesn’t even know it is there. But you can imagine the looks we get around town with his “blue bow ties” on his head. I think I have now told the story about 75 times.

Maybe this was Cooper’s way of letting me know that he wants to be Frankenstein for Halloween, what do you think?

No comments: