Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

One Sick Family

In a house with children, sometimes germs rule. We had everything all set to visit Peter's grandparents in the northern part of Germany. The trip had been scheduled since before our visit to Augusta and we knew we wanted to see them before Christmas. Peter was just loading the last bags into the car for the 7 hour drive and we had organized care for Kayla with Peter's parents. It was dinner time, so I didn't think much about it when Cooper got a little whiny. I picked him up, he laid his head on my shoulder and then there is just no way to describe in words the sound that comes from vomit hurled all over an individual's body. Hurl, splatter, chunkage, odor, sour . . . all seems to come to mind. I screamed and Peter ran upstairs to see what all the commotion was.


Cooper seemed to be just fine and even gave a little smile (devilish in my mind). Peter admitted that he had been tossing Cooper around and turning him upside down, so we thought that was the culprit. I ran to change clothes and Peter brought Cooper up to the bathroom so that I could get him cleaned up and as fresh as possible. All clean, all good and we thought we would be on our way. REPEAT! Yet again, REPEAT! Again, REPEAT! You would have thought that I would have caught on after 3 new outfits for both Cooper and me. After that, I resigned to a smelly t-shirt and Cooper stayed in a diaper wrapped in a couple of towels. Then, each time we just had to change the towel.


So, clearly a 7 hour drive was out of the question. We rescheduled with the grands and settled in for the night. Well, Peter went out to play poker with the boys, actually. Us moms sure do get the short end of the stick sometimes.

Saturday morning Cooper was all good again, but Saturday evening the stomach bug wave hit me. All I can say is violent. Then early Sunday morning Peter joined in on the festivities. Sunday afternoon, Peter and I were in dire need of a babysitter so we did the only thing we could think of to do . . . break out some of the Christmas gifts. Cooper wouldn't be able to tell anyone on Christmas morning that he had actually seen a few of these before, right?

So, here is a picture of the sick kid before the rest of us got it.

We did make it to Soltau the next weekend and had a wonderful time visiting with Peter's grandparents. They were very sweet and really seemed to enjoy their time with Cooper.


No comments: