Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

What's In Your Pantry?

I am starting to find the condition of our pantry quite humorous. We used to be a typical family with yummy items tucked away in the pantry. Staples such as Cheerios (here they are called Honey Loops), Corn Flakes, Special K cereal, Chocolate, Brownie Mixes, Flour, Pasta, Cans of Chicken Noodle Soup, Sauce mixes, Candy, Crackers, and Cookies among many other things have always had a constant, comforting presence in our house.

Now our pantry contains items that I never new existed and never imagined that I would be buying and eating. So, here are a some of the things that have started to take over our pantry:
  • Potato Flour/Starch
  • Corn Flour
  • Rice Flour
  • Tapioca Flour
  • Agave Nectar
  • Flaxseed Meal
  • GFCF bread
  • Rice pasta
  • Corn Pasta
  • Guar Gum
  • Almond Milk
  • Soy Milk
  • Coconut Milk
  • Tamari
  • Soy Vanilla Pudding
  • Rice Cakes and Corn Cakes
  • GFCF Vegetable and Chicken Broths

In addition to these weird things, we are buying more fresh fruit and produce than ever. Sure it all sounds healthy and you would think that we would all be losing weight, but not yet. Believe it or not, I can still find the most fattening recipes using this stuff. This morning we had GFCF donuts. Yes, I made them from scratch! But I hope that over time we (Peter and I) will lose some weight with this new diet. Unfortunately, these new grocery items don't come cheap. It's more expensive to feed our family this way.

I am starting a new section on my blog for GFCF recipes. I will be posting recipes that we test in our house and those that get the stamp of approval from Cooper. Many of these will be recipes that even those who don't follow a GFCF diet can make and enjoy. You will be able to find these recipes by clicking on the tab at the top of this page underneath the main picture. If you have any recipes that you can add, please send them to me. I promise to give you full credit. I am really bad about vegetables. I have never been a big vegetable eater and just don't have a clue how to cook them. I would love your suggestions. My hope is that this will be a help to other families out there struggling to find good things that their kids can eat, whether autistic or not.

1 comment:

April and Alan said...

This is such a great idea! I'm sure other moms will appreciate this addition to your blog.