Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

And in the blue corner, weighing in at 33 pounds . . .

My second choice for the title of this blog was: Amy and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night.

Long time away from the blog. Lots has happened, lots of developments. I'll catch up soon, but last night was an experience that just can't go unwritten. Cooper has made some major developments lately, mostly physically in terms of growth and coordination. This is all great, and I am very excited about all of his new abilities. The only problem at the moment is that his physical capabilities surpass his comprehension of his surroundings which results in some pretty dangerous situations.

The first came with learning to quietly creep down the stairs and open the door. I found him once on the street after realizing that the house was just too quiet. Last week, he went to visit the neighbors without shoes or pants. Earlier this week, the same neighbors called to let me know that he ventured over there again unbeknownst (I swear that is a word, but it sure looks strange) to me. So, now our doors are all locked and keys are out of reach. Problem solved.

The next discoveries took place in the kitchen. Rather than ask for something to drink, Cooper would simply go down to the kitchen, pull over a chair to the fridge, open it, and look for a sippy cup. Then he might open the cabinet and grab a cookie or waffle, possibly even some gummy bears. After having a snack, he has been known to open and close the oven door or move his chair over a little so that he can climb up onto the counter and sit on the stove top tossing down everything within reach. A little harder to solve. Currently I am using the scream and move child method. (I tried popping his hand - it is a little hard to get a good spanking through a diaper - but he popped mine right back, so clearly he missed that message.)

The biggest concern for me at the moment is the new knowledge of how to open and close the windows. And seeing as many of them are extremely high up off the ground (in particular that in Cooper's room), a fall would be deadly or at least serious enough to sufficiently mangle up a curious little boy.

Given all of this, you can imagine my concerns last night when at the convenient hour of 3:12 AM(apparently the perfect time of day to try new tricks), Cooper learned that he can also now climb out of his bed. Actually, I awoke at this absurd wee hour of the morning to Cooper crying, and then a few short minutes later surprising total silence, and then a few seconds later his bedroom door opening.

Thus began the match up between mother and son. Bring it on little boy, cry all you want, scream to your heart's content, and climb out if you dare. An angry and sleepy mom is there just waiting (praying for divine intervention actually) for you to tucker out. I kept telling myself that my will is stronger than his. I know what's best for him. I can get through this. This too shall pass. At 5:00 AM, I was begging the Lord to send this child into a holy slumber. Finally, after more than 2 hours, Cooper was laying peacefully in a light sleep.

I go down into my bedroom, ready to crawl into the comfort of my own bed knowing that I would be out as soon as my head hit that pillow.

And that was when I knew that I had been defeated.

The real winner was Kayla. Who during this whole event became freaked out by a noise coming from the brick factory around the corner (mind you this noise really isn't very loud) and when I approached the bed, I noticed that a very scared dog had peed in my bed.

Ding, ding, ding. Match over. Kayla is now sporting the title of Champion, however I kind of wish that she were sporting a sore behind instead.

Honestly, if babies and dogs weren't so cute and lovable sometimes, I have a feeling they would be extinct.

So, since many of the people who read this blog are some of the most amazing moms I need your help and suggestions. Any tips or advice to how to keep this little guy safe? How do I discipline him when he doesn't seem to be able to connect the yelling, spanking, hand pop with the action that he was just doing? And how do I keep him in bed? PLEASE, help a tired mama out with your tips. Just leave a comment so that I may benefit from your wisdom.

7 comments:

Beth Dye said...

Wow, as I was reading this I heard Dooley making weird noises and got up to find her chewing up Thomas's diaper from this morning. Nice, but my fault right because I left it on the bed?

As for advfice, when Thomas was biting, time out worked. When he started hitting me in the face and doing the popping my hand when I popped his thing- we had to go to real spankings. Like with a wooden spoon. Very calm, diaper off, two pops. Very effective. I've also read that when they climb out of bed you are supposed to go get them and put them back immediately but don't talk or interact with them at all. They like the attention your anger gives them. This has actually worked with Thomas too.

Cooper sounds adventurous! Sorry we didn't see you when you were here but glad for the update on how you are doing. Things are good here!

Beth

Anonymous said...

He's been a busy little guy! Sorry, I don't have any advice, though :)

Hopefully you'll both get a full night's sleep tonight!

April

Unknown said...

I don't understand the non-correlation of bad behavior/punishment with boys! My sister's boys were the same way and her daughter (much like I was as a child) - man, you can just look at her and she cries! It HAS to be a boy thing. They are absolutely fearless.

Wyatt learned early to climb out of his bed, so we put a stool by the side of it. That way, at least if he climbs out of bed, he has a soft landing spot and can gradually climb down rather than the thudding alternative. We had a few nights of waking to screams and going to the room to remove our child from the death grip he had on the rails though, so it did take a little time for him to even realize he could actually use the stool. A couple of small bruises here or there, maybe some bumps, but nothing you haven't dealt with before occurred during that learning curve.

For the kitchen, we bought nifty Safety First items for locking the cabinets and stove. I especially like the one for the stove because is a two-part contraption that sticks with some unknown type of glue that has lasted two years now (and counting). I actually think I'm going to have to get one for the refrigerator.

Rather than deadbolt ourselves in the house, we got chain locks for the front and back door and placed them high so that the boys can't reach - but low enough that I still can. For the inner doors, we just got door knob covers. They still haven't figured those out and even Greg has a hard time with them. ;o)

We can't do it now (the window opening and closing is an issue for us as well), but in our old house, our windows had wood frames. Not that we needed it then, but the prior owners had installed the neatest locks on the windows. I think they were called security pins, but I'm not sure.

Basically, the kids are winning. We want them safe. They want to be mischievous, so we have to spend more money. They're as safe as we can make them though, so I sleep better at night. You can get most of the stuff you need at a Home Depot or Babies R Us type store. Of course, the web is great too. If you need it shipped to you, let me know!

As for Kayla - if she only pees in the bed when she's scared, God bless her! Wyatt is potty training, we find pee everywhere. Just one more thing for you to look forward to.

Barbara said...

Amy,

Although it has been a while since I've had to deal with these issues, I remember that consistency is the key. Yes, he is going to stretch and that is what you want, but keeping him as safe as possible while he discovers his new found abilities is, of course, your job. So, do the things Beth suggested, and remember how you plan to escalate discipline. Stick to it. One thing that I did as a mother, is when I spanked my boys, I used a wooden spoon -- actually took it with me everywhere we went. I think the spoon put a little distance in that my hand never touched the boys, therefore, they didn't even think about hitting me back! Sometimes just seeing that spoon come out was all they needed. They don't call it the terrible two's for nothing!

As for Kayla, she will be fine.

Love yah,

Barbara

Mandy said...

Oh boy. It may be time to get rid of the crib. Maybe put just his mattress on the ground (which welcomes a brand new problem of staying in/on the bed), but at least you know he won't hurt himself trying to get out of the crib.

Like a commenter said above, get safety knobs for all doors (but The Farmers figured those out) and use hooks at the top of the door, chains on the door, etc. Windows...I think they make some locks for those. Our windows are so tall, our kids still can't reach the latches, so we haven't experienced this problem. Cabinet locks for the kitchen, get oven locks, bungee cord your fridge. As adventurous as he is, you are going to have to be at the top of your game. Time out works well for our kids, but it seems like he may climb out of the time out chair, so put him in his room (once your windows are locked, of course!). I had a friend who turned the door knobs around so she could lock them in and they could not get out. It worked for her, but I have never tried it.

Hope he settles soon...we all have our issues with our children. You have a climber and I have the Tasmanian Devil. For real.

Unknown said...

On windows ... If wooden framed, use a wood screw to secure the windows to each other or window to the frame. When all is clear in a few years, remove the screw.

Brenton and Braden Vasquez said...

Amy,

You go from one adventure to the next don't you?!?! I think that I might have to agree with Mandy...Maybe it's time for a big boy bed on the floor. A few rough nights will be all it takes.
I don't know how time out will work for you b/c it sounds like Cooper won't sit still long enough. Maybe a "spanking spoon" might work and not your hand. I've read that an object works better than your hand because your kids see that object and knows what is coming.

Like you said...This too shall pass, but in the moment you wonder how long!!