Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

On The Mend

(WARNING: The following post contains images which clearly demonstrate that I am a total and complete failure when it comes to altering any type of photographic image. However, it has been proven on many previous occasions that I have no shame so view at your own risk.)

I was determined not to write about my brutal cold, but after more than a week I am starting to feel better, and I couldn't feel more relieved. Cooper came down with a nasty sounding cough about a week and a half ago. Then, a few days later I was hit with about 2000 lbs of sinus pressure and sore throat. Over the course of the week, things got progressively worse and I ended up with Laryngitis, crazy sinus issues, and a throat that was so sore and swollen it felt as if I was breathing through a straw. Being prego and all means that girlfriend here ain't allowed any serious medication.



Peter took Cooper and I to the doctor on Tuesday in the hopes of some relief. You know that great feeling when you are sick, finally go to the doctor and that doctor prescribes you hefty doses of wonderful meds? Then you rush to the pharmacy to fill those prescriptions because you can't take another minute of misery, scurry home and curl up in bed with the drugs that bring the promise of clear nasal passages and an end to coughing up your toenails. Yeah, well I didn't get that.


Germany is the land of homeopathic medical practices, so I was instructed to breathe in some steam, drink some herbal tea, and maybe even suck on a sage throat lozenge when the situation is really dire. All of which, I was already doing. Cooper didn't fare any better either. So, instead of the whole scurry home scenario, we all scurried to McD's for some comfort food and hit the grocery store for popsicles and ice cream. Now that is my form of homeopathy!


I must say that this guy here makes a great nurse.





Oops, that isn't quite right. Let's try that again:
Well, that's a little better if we can overlook the fact that Peter the hunky doctor is missing a neck. But seriously, the sweet hubs took wonderful care of me, staying home from work, and putting Cooper to bed at night. I really got lots of time to rest and am thrilled to finally be getting better.

A few days ago, though, Peter started in with his own symptoms and just the thought of all the great drugs that he could partake in was like living out a fantasy. I swear, talk of pharmaceuticals could have been an aphrodisiac! Just mention things like Tylenol PM (oh my), Nyquil (yes, that's good), Sudafed (that's really hot), and Mucinex (don't stop), and suddenly I am like Meg Ryan in that diner in When Harry Met Sally. That is how badly I was craving cold medicine.


Hey, maybe making it through all this without medication means that I am ready for natural child birth without an epidural!


Just kidding. I would never even think of something so ridiculous. I mean, that's just crazy talk!



Hope you all are healthy or at least heavily medicated.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

a good men is standing this an for a bad it is not werth -
so your are a very good woman
oma

Kari said...

Hey, how come I never noticed the iStockphoto tattoo on Peter's chest before? Got any other hidden secrets, Peter?

Kari said...

So I showed the pictures to the girls and the first comment was "...is Peter REALLY a doctor...?" (imagine the wide eyes and raised eyebrows) and the second comment was, "...the nurse Peter-lady looks like Miss Amy..."
Amy, my kids think that your curves warrant first pick for Top Model 2010! You're a hot mama...and just think how turned on Doctor Peter is going to be when his hot mama is screaming through natural labor without an epidural! :)