Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Yesterday I broached the subject of Lent to Peter. Note to self: Grumpy Husband = Bad Timing to Bring Up Sacrificial Offerings to the Lord. Typically, we choose something food related to give up for Lent. However, Peter has been super stressed, and he (like I) finds solace and joy in comfort foods. Therefore, this morning I brought Lent up again and suggested an alternative in that our sacrifices for Lent would be more along the actions side of life. Funny enough, I could think of all kinds of things that Peter could do/stop doing for Lent, however I was just stumped on what I could possibly change about myself. Peter didn't have a problem coming up with a few suggestions. Thus we each picked something for the other person to do/stop doing for Lent.

I won't reveal Peter's plan for Lent. Not that it is anything bad or private, but that is his offering of sacrifice. As for me, the hubs challenged me to give up sarcasm for Lent. What? No sarcasm? How am I supposed to do that? That is like telling me not to be skinny. Oh wait, I'm not skinny. OK, that is like telling me to no longer be drop dead gorgeous. Oh yeah, I'm not that either. Well, it's like telling me not to be tall. Sarcasm is a part of me. But apparently, Peter doesn't find it as enjoyable as I do. I can't imagine why.

No sarcasm for me means a lot of things. It means that when Peter in his underwear and black socks and he lets out a fart or burp, I can't look at him and say "Honey, I have never been more attracted to you than I am right this very moment." It also means that when I am huffing and puffing from carrying laundry up and down the stairs, I can't look over at Peter and say something like "No no, dear, don't get up. I don't want you to lift a finger." Or when Peter has food on his face I can't ask him if he is saving a snack for later. Honestly, I can't figure out why Peter would ask me to give up sarcasm for Lent. My quips are a delight and never, oh no never, hurtful.

Most of all, no sarcasm means that I actually have to think before I speak. Well, that is certainly a challenge.

As a punishment for breaking his Lent vow, Peter promised that he would get up with Cooper and make him breakfast. (By the way, Cooper has now decided that 5:00 is a good time to wake up in the mornings, so this is serious.) I, in turn, promised that should I let a sarcastic comment slip between these succulent lips, I would get up with Cooper and make him breakfast. Peter felt that was a sarcastic comment.

I still want to give up a food item for Lent, since that just feels right to me. I keep contemplating chocolate, but if I choose that it means that I will have to consume every morsel of chocolate in the house first. And believe me, from ice cream, pudding, cookies, and an assortment of straight up chocolate (Toblerone, Milka, Hershey . . . my precious) we are loaded with such an array that, while I have no doubt in my abilities to successfully consume it all in any given day, I might never recover from the results. Such damage couldn't be reversed from 10 years of chocolate abstinence. Clearly, self-control isn't my strong suit.

I also plan to step up my prayer time for Lent. This is an area that could use huge improvement and deserves much more attention than I have been giving.

So, it is officially on for Lent. As of this moment, I am done with sarcasm till April. I will miss you, old friend.

What are you giving up or doing different for Lent?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Does it count as sarcasm if you just write something sarcastic or do you have to completely give it up?! I think that would make me cry. By the way, there is no way that Peter can be more handsome farting and burping than my wonderful, farting, burping, belching, crack-bearing husband, Greg. I think there is a fight to the finish in there somewhere.

Best of luck with the sarcasm and great going on the decision to NOT give up chocolate. That just seems torturous to a pregnant woman.

Cooper's Dad said...

So far my wife and I have been doing really good. Cooper has been doing well as well - he lost 2 lbs already - I wonder what he gave up for lent - or is it that he is not being fed breakfast anymore.

Mandy said...

hahahahaha I love it. Peter's comment above has me rolling.

I gave up sweets again. Can't give up alcohol because I'm not really drinking since I am nursing, can't give up coffee since I am not really drinking it much either. So sweets it is. Brad is giving up "vices". He has yet to state which one.

kelly said...

amy- no sarcasm??? but it just won't be you anymore. i have to admit that although i admire it...i am also a little saddened for my own selfish reasons. i love your sarcasm!!! good luck! :)