Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Cravings

This pregnancy has been very different from the first one with Cooper. I am much more sick feeling and have cravings which I didn't have with Cooper. Except that one time that I went to the store for butter, just butter, and came out with a dozen donuts, a bag of smarties, and no butter. But that was only once. This time I have had very specific cravings.


A couple of weeks ago, I wanted white sandwich bread. That just doesn't exist here. You know, the really soft, stick to the top of your mouth, spongey, cloud-like white bread that makes peanut butter and jelly perfection. What I really wanted was tuna salad on that white bread. I settled for a french crusty bread that is soft in the middle, and my friend, Kari, came over to make a batch of tuna salad for me. Just because I wanted to eat it doesn't mean that I can stomach making it. The tuna salad was delicious. I had it that day for lunch, dinner, and even a small snack in between. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with major nausea. After a while I went downstairs to watch TV as a destraction. Wouldn't you know it, there is now a tuna commercial advertising lemon pepper tuna. I thought I would upchuck all over myself. And that has been the end of tuna. Tuna, you are now dead to me.


Then, our friends Christina and Dwayne came over and brought with them some Zax sauce. Random, I know, but there is no secret that I have a love affair with Zaxby's. Well, of course, that sparked a craving for some chicken fingers. Again, not a commodity that one will find in Germany (are we noticing a pattern?). So, my sweet hubby went out, bought some supplies, and made me chicken fingers himself. They weren't Zaxby's, but they were actually pretty good.


While Peter was in London last week, I decided that I wanted chocolate cupcakes. So, I made them. I ate 2, and threw 16 away. I was so over the chocolate cupcake thing.

The next week, I wanted Mexican food. Not just Mexican, but specifically cheese dip and refried beans. Ya'll, I never eat refried beans. But that is what I wanted. I planned to meet my friend Kelly later that week for lunch and when she mentioned Mexican, I nearly yelled into the phone how perfect that was and I think I scared her a little. She called me the next day to say that the Mexican place isn't open for lunch, but she made us a great Mexican themed salad and while it wasn't cheese dip and beans, it was really good. (Note: She sent me the attached picture later of Cooper. This is him going head to head with the curtain, and surprisingly the curtain is still standing. I had my doubts.)

Then there is the hankering for Chinese. Again, not here or at least not anywhere within 30 miles and not American Chinese. Specifically, Sho Chin. Ok, Sho Chin's Sesame Chicken with fried rice, some vegetable lo mein, and the sweet tea that is always so good at a Chinese establishment. I'm torturing myself here.

I am excited about my trip to the US in October to be able to easily fulfill all of my craving whims. However, it is highly possible that while I am there, I may just get an inkling for a German pretzel or some schnitzel. We'll see.

At 7.5 weeks, I am still feeling sick. In fact, it is 1:26 in the morning as I type this. The nausea is there in the morning and definitely has an impact on the quality of breakfast that I am able to make for Cooper. It softens mid morning which is the only time that I am going to get something done, if it will happen at all. After a light lunch, indigestion sets in and I burp my way through the afternoon while the nausea rears its ugly head and gets its most feisty just before bed.


Yes, did I mention that I don't make the most pleasant pregnant person? Feel free to offer Peter some words of support as he tries to cope.

No comments: